Sunday, April 27, 2014

Finances and the Single Stay At Home Mom...

 God is pleased continually to vary His mode of dealing with us, in order that we may not be tempted to trust in donors, or in circumstances, but in Him alone, and to keep our eye fixed upon Him.  George Meuller

#make sure you read all the way to the bottom, where I give my tips... 


My basement store house (blessing from a foster parent food program) 

Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. Malachi 3:10


My home canned goodies (blessing from my upbringing, knowledge and willingness to toil)

An Hour after He Prayed, the Answer Came 
George went back to college without knowing how he was going to pay his tuition. He did something he thought was a bit silly for a grown man to do. He got on his knees and asked God to provide. To his surprise, an hour later a professor knocked on his door. He offered George a paid tutoring job! George was amazed! This was the beginning of George Mueller's dependence on God.


Freezers full of food (blessing from the above two blessings and venison from hunters who like to hunt but not eat venison)
Praying Food into the Home
Each day as George walked the streets, he saw children everywhere who had no mom or dad. They lived on the streets or in state-run poorhouses, where they were treated badly. George felt God calling him to open an orphanage to take care of the children.
George prayed, asking God to provide a building, people to oversee it, furniture, and money for food and clothing. God answered his prayers. The needs of the orphanage were met each day. Sometimes a wealthy person would send a large amount of money, or a child would give a small amount received as a gift or for doing chores. Many times food, supplies or money came at the last minute, but God always provided without George telling anyone about his needs. He just prayed and waited on God.
More than 10,000 children lived in the orphanage over the years. When each child became old enough to live on his own, George would pray with him and put a Bible in his right hand and a coin in his left. He explained to the young person that if he held onto what was in his right hand, God would always make sure there was something in his left hand as well.

(blessing of helping hands from church who helped freeze corn and applesauce)

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. As it is written, “He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.” He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.


(Blessings from friends who are just amazing)

Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”


(blessing of the room and ability to raise our own food.)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.


(blessing of a childcare job out of nowhere)

The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.

 
(Blessing of  my upbringing, the ability and love of raising my own food)

In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty.



(Blessing of yardsale clothing and hand me down clothing)

To learn strong faith is to endure great trials. I have learned my faith by standing firm amid severe testings. George Mueller

(Blessing of Craigslist deals, direct answers to prayers)


She selects wool and flax

    and works with eager hands.
14 
She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.
15 
She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her female servants.
16 
She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 
She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 
She sees that her trading is profitable,
    and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 
In her hand she holds the distaff
    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 
She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy.
21 
When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 
She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 
Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 
She makes linen garments and sells them,
    and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
26 
She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 
She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 
Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
29 
“Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
30 
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 
Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.



So the big question I always get from everyone, social workers to other single moms, to complete (nosey) strangers... How do you do it financially?!
The answer to that question is simple. I strive to live like George Mueller. I strive to bring my needs to God. The kiddoes and I pray for any major needs we have and often get to see GREAT results.


This does not mean I always get what I want. Sometimes God's answer is different from what my heart desires. But ultimately, God provides. Abundantly above what I could ever imagine. But I need to step out in faith. I need to do the crazy things. I need to trust that he will provide. It took a lot of stepping out of the boat in that first year. A lot of trust building. praying. fervently.

It also means hardwork, sacrifice and budgeting. It means tracking every penny, but finding the balance of not obessessing. It means working hard. It means waiting, for the right time and the right deal. It means sacrifice.

My children wear mostly brand name clothing (because I like the quality) bought at yard sales and thrift shops, or passed on to us by friends. My one friend cleans for this family, they have two boys. The family passes on their 2 sons clothing to my friend, who takes clothing for her sons, then passes the left overs on to me for my two sons and I pass what I don't want on to friends... God's provision.

I can not tell you the last time I shopped at a "regular" grocery store. Every 3 months, I make a run to the foster parent food program, where I buy cases and cases of food. I shop every other week at the local amish bend and dent stores. I am careful what I buy. I also find seconds on produce and can as much as possible in the summer time. We have our own chickens and hope to soon have our own beef. Currently I have a freezer full of venison and turkey legs, from local friends.

Vacations:
I do splurge on these. This is important for us. However I try to find funding when available and discounts etc. For ex, we do not do beach vacations. We do not stay in motels, VRBO.com is a much better option. We also camp. It is a lot of work but very affordable.

Budgeting... It never lines up. What comes in and goes out monthly is not realistic on paper. (try documenting THAT for adoption!)But I sit down atleast twice a year and assess where my money is going and if I can change that in anyway... sometimes I am shocked to discover where I have been very careless. So this is an important step.

Saving for emergencies is also crucial. So very important. The very key to staying afloat.

I assess what is important. Sometimes household help is more important then vacations. Sometimes vacations need to be priority. Sometimes that $4 coffee is what keeps me sane, other times its what makes me cringe.

We have found the perfect down the to word items we have prayed for...
the house we live in.
the camper we own.
the two vehicles we own, debt free due to some awesome God stories
the pool we have.
the clothing my kids wear.
the fun things I have bought recently for the kids.


God provides. He wants us to rely on Him.


The other week, I had a situation where I was tight and I did what I knew God wanted me to do. So, quite frankly I was not shocked when a couple days later, a neighbor, one we do not know, dropped by with a gift card for the local store where we buy diapers and formula. (they could not have known ANY of this!)


Every Christmas the kids and I fix a gift box for some family that we DO NOT KNOW. Every year we receive a gift from different random people, who do NOT know that we do the same thing. One year, a man in a creepy black van, stopped in and handed me a large amount of money. I to this day do not know who he was.


Vehicle Maintenance... one of my biggest expenses. Every time I schedule it, I get a gift. every time.




God will provide if you are walking in obedience and if you ASK! He wants to be your Jehovah Jireh, our God who provides.


The name Jehovah-Jireh is a name that is crucial for us today as we seek to know the Father. It is a name that assures us that our Heavenly Father is able to provide any need we have. Trust Him for that!






No comments:

Post a Comment